Sample Collection and Shipment
- Collect approximately 3-fold the amount of blood as the amount of
- Leave blood at room temperature until clotting is completed (up
to 2 hours).
- Centrifuge clotted blood at 1000-3000 x g for 5-10 minutes and
remove serum (supernatant) from clot.
- Keep sera cool
- Keep sample vials closed
- Do not store sera longer than 1 day at room temperature or 5 days
at 4 °C prior to shipment; sera should be saved at -20 °C for
longer periods of time.
- In general, a total volume of 50-100 µl serum per animal is
required to perform the complete panel of tests.
- Only the determination of LDH activity (for diagnosis of
infection with lactate dehydrogenase-elevating virus in mice) requires
an additional volume of at least 100 µl serum (or plasma) per
animal. Because of the high LDH concentration in erythrocytes, it is
important to use nonhaemolysed samples. Please ship samples immediately
You may use our serology submission form (Download PDF
Specimens for which there is minimal likelihood that pathogens are
present (based on the professional judgement of a veterinarian) may be
shipped as Exempt Animal Specimens (without a UN number) if the
following packaging conditions are met.
- Marking of packages: "EXEMPT ANIMAL SPECIMEN"
- The packaging consists of three components:
- one or more leak-proof primary receptacles. To facilitate
sample processing in our laboratory, we encourage clients to place
serum samples in Eppendorf tubes with conical bottom (1.5 ml or 0.7 ml).
- a leak-proof secondary packaging (with sufficient absorbent
material between primary and secondary packaging)
- an outer packaging of adequate strength (e.g., padded
- Faecal samples for PCR analysis should be fresh and collected
with sterile forceps. 2-3 faecal pellets per animal are generally
- To avoid cross contamination of samples, forceps should be
replaced between samples.
- If several mice from the same hygienic unit shall be tested for
the presence of Helicobacter spp., up to 10 faceal pellets (e.g. 2
pellets from each of 5 cages) can be pooled as single sample.
- Shipment: see serum shipment (the absorbent material between
primary and secondary packaging may be omitted).
- Collect organ samples for PCR analysis in a sterile manner and
freeze at -20 °C to -80 °C.
- Ship on dry ice.